It's starting to warm up and that means that it's time for fairs, festivals & cook outs! It might just be the weather but to me the food is always better in the summer. Now it could just be that it is grilled outside or cooked over a camp fire but there is just something about the summer and good eats! Hopefully I can get through this list without making myself hungry but here are just some of the foods that are a must have when summer comes around.
1.) Jolly's Drive-In Coney Dog/ Root Beer
- There is nothing like the taste of the first Jolly's Root Beer of the year. While I normally get it to go there is something to be said about the classic window tray of food! Granted I don't trust myself enough to not get food everywhere in my car.
2.) A "Porktato" from Bam Bam's Backyard BBQ at the Seneca County Fair
- It is as awesome as it sounds. A baked potato covered in pulled pork and some awesome BBQ sauce! It's been a must have for me since I found it at the fair a few years back. It's the best part of "working" at the fair grounds!
(Sadly I couldn't find a picture of an actual porktato)
3.) Tasty Dogs Polish Sausage
- I know it's starting to warm up when I see the Tasty Dog cart on the corner by the Tri-County Studio!
(My first Tasty Dog of the season!)
4.) Funnel Cakes/ Elephant Ears
- These are some of my favorites although they end up being the messiest things ever! It also never fails that I will be wearing black/blue when I get one and then you get powdered sugar all over you!
5.) Food at Fifth Third Field
- There is something to be said about a sunny day in a ball park. Even if you're not a big fan of baseball you will have a great time at Fifth Third Field in Toledo. I look forward to the food almost as much as the game!
(Some of our contest winners last year in "The Roost")
6.) Ice Cream "Flurries"
- There are a number of different places to get a good flurry. Archies, IC Treats, & Shake Shak are always a safe bet. They always seem to taste better at a local mom and papa ice cream shop!
7.) Strawberry Pie
- There is nothing like a good Strawberry or Strawberry Rhubarb pie! Luckily we have tons of great farmers markets in our area to get some great strawberries.
That's not the healthiest list in the world I should probably head to the gym now...